4 Tips to Prepare for Gynecomastia Surgery | Dr. Florence Mussat
Gynecomastia, or male breast reduction surgery, is a procedure designed to eliminate excess tissue from a man’s chest, creating a more masculine upper body shape. Regardless of the type of male breast reduction surgery planned, thorough preparation should precede the procedure to accomplish safe and desirable results.
Being well-prepared will not only make you feel more confident, but it will also increase your chances of a smooth surgery followed by a fast, trouble-free recovery. Here are the four things you should do before having gynecomastia surgery.
1. Determine What You Want From the Procedure
Apart from removing excess breast tissue, this is an opportunity for you to address other aesthetic concerns simultaneously. These could include the removal of excess skin and breast glandular tissue, as well as liposuction.
Having Dr. Mussat develop a clear plan for your ultimate goal is crucial to know you’ll be satisfied with the outcome. She will assess your anatomy to establish whether the fullness in your chest is due to:
- Excess fat
- Excess breast tissue
- Loose skin surrounding the areolas
In the case of age or extreme weight loss, fullness in the chest can be the direct result of loose skin surrounding the areolas, which Dr. Mussat can quickly remove with an areolar reduction. However, if your gynecomastia concerns include excess fat and breast tissue, you’ll also need surgical excision of tissue and fat removal.
2. Speak With Dr. Mussat About Your Surgery
An essential next step in preparing for your gynecomastia surgery is to schedule a consultation with Dr. Mussat in downtown Chicago for the following reasons.
- She is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- She has in-depth knowledge of the underlying causes of gynecomastia.
- She has performed numerous male breast reduction surgeries using the techniques needed for your procedure.
- She’s happy to show you before-and-after pictures of previous male breast reduction patients.
Dr. Mussat has a detailed understanding and extensive experience in reducing breast tissue in men and recontouring the chest area to make it more masculine.
3. Commit to Lifestyle Changes
Even though your lifestyle might not have caused gynecomastia, now is probably a good time to overhaul your diet and exercise routine. Follow the guidelines outlined below before your surgery, establishing a healthy lifestyle ahead of your procedure while simultaneously helping you preserve your results.
- Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid sugar, white flour, and processed foods.
- Switch to a whole-food diet.
- Lower your alcohol consumption.
- Avoid taking steroids or hormonal supplements.
- Do not smoke tobacco or marijuana.
- Exercise three to six times a week, including regular weightlifting and resistance exercises to build muscle.
4. Plan for a Healthy Recovery
Before your surgery, arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home and provide assistance with household chores during the initial 48 hours after your surgery.
Returning home after your gynecomastia surgery and starting the recovery process will be a challenge. Plan to take some time off from work and other commitments, and expect to spend at least 48 hours resting.
Follow Dr. Mussat’s advice for your recovery, and you can expect a quick and trouble-free recovery.
Get Ready for Your Gynecomastia Surgery With Dr. Florence Mussat
Are you ready to address your gynecomastia and start living the life you deserve? Regain your self-confidence with a leaner, more sculpted look throughout your chest area by scheduling a private consultation with Dr. Mussat to prepare for your gynecomastia surgery. The results will help you once again feel proud of your appearance. Contact her office by calling (312) 751-9000 today.