Has time, the effect of gravity, pregnancy or breastfeeding taken a toll on the look of your breasts? Do you miss the breasts of your youth, which were perky and lifted high on the chest wall? If you said “yes” to these questions, you might benefit from undergoing cosmetic breast lift surgery (mastopexy) with female plastic surgeon Dr. Florence Mussat. With breast lift surgery, Dr. Mussat lifts breasts to a more youthful-looking and aesthetically pleasing position on the chest wall.
Why Breast Lift Is Needed
Due to the natural aging process, the body produces less and less elastin and collagen over time. Without a sufficient supply of these proteins, the skin loses its elasticity and starts to sag. This development can cause the breasts to look saggy. Major weight loss, hereditary traits, pregnancy and nursing can also compound this aesthetic concern, often giving way to drooping, deflated-looking breasts with overly enlarged areolas and nipples that have migrated down the front of the breast and now point toward the floor instead of straight ahead.
Suitable Breast Lift Candidates
Appropriate candidates for breast lift surgery generally include women who:
- Suffer from sagging breasts, excessively large areolas and / or downward-pointing nipples
- Have breast skin that has lost its elasticity
- Are perhaps bothered by deflated-looking breasts or sagging breasts that are actually smaller than they were prior to having children (In this case, Dr. Mussat might recommend including breast implants in the breast lift procedure.)
- Are in good general health, both physically and mentally
- Have realistic expectations for the outcome of surgery
- Desire aesthetic improvement, not necessarily perfection
- Recognize both the advantages and potential risks associated with the procedure
- Are choosing to have breast lift surgery of their own accord
- Are not currently pregnant or breastfeeding
Breast Lift Incision Options
Dr. Mussat offers the three principal incision patterns used for breast lift surgery: the periareolar incision, the “lollipop” incision and the “anchor” incision. During consultation, she
will listen to your aesthetic concerns and evaluate your breasts and overall anatomy, including your degree of breast ptosis (sagginess) and skin health, before recommending the treatment plan that will best address your unique needs; this includes which incision pattern to use during surgery.
- The periareolar incision. This incision pattern extends around the outer edge of the areola (the darker-colored skin surrounding the nipple). The resulting scar is generally well concealed within the darkly pigmented areola skin. However, this incision pattern is best for women who only require a small degree of lift throughout the breasts and do not have a lot of excess breast skin that needs to be excised.
- The “lollipop” incision. With this incision option, Dr. Mussat makes the periareolar incision pattern as well as a vertical incision that extends down the front surface of the breast. This option allows for a greater degree of lifting and skin excision than the periareolar incision does.
- The “anchor” incision. This incision pattern includes the periareolar incision, the vertical incision down the front of the breast and a horizontal incision that is placed underneath the natural breast crease. Dr. Mussat uses this incision pattern for women who require a great deal of breast lift and skin excision. With this approach, Dr. Mussat may even excise some breast tissue, for a perkier look.
With any of these incision techniques, Dr. Mussat can also reduce the size of overly enlarged areolas and can reposition southward-pointing nipples back in the center of the breasts, so they again point straight ahead.
What to Expect During Breast Lift Surgery
Dr. Mussat performs breast lift surgery on an outpatient basis, typically with the use of general anesthesia. The duration of breast lift surgery is usually about two hours, depending on the complexity of the patient’s surgical needs.
To start the procedure, Dr. Mussat makes the incision pattern that you and she agreed upon during your consultation or subsequent preoperative appointment. She re-molds the natural breast tissue mound, as she moves it to a higher, younger-looking position on the chest wall. (At this point, Dr. Mussat inserts breast implants, if this is part of the patient’s treatment plan.) She repositions the nipple-areola complex, as needed. Chicago plastic surgeon Dr. Mussat may also excise some of the areola skin from around its perimeter, if necessary to reduce the size of excessively large areolas. The plastic surgeon excises any excess skin from the breasts to compensate for a loss of elasticity before closing the incisions with sutures. Finally, Dr. Mussat dresses the treatment area with soft bandages and an overlying surgical bra, to reduce swelling and provide additional support to the tissues while they heal.
The Breast Lift Recovery Period
Patients should arrange to take about one week off from work or their usual routine. During this time, they should rest as much as possible and avoid strenuous activity, including exercise and heavy lifting.
The treatment area may be bruised, swollen, numb or tender. The patient may experience moderate to severe discomfort throughout the treatment area during the first four or five
days after surgery, especially if she has had breast implants placed during breast lift surgery. Taking pain relievers as directed by Dr. Mussat will help alleviate any discomfort during the initial phase of recovery.
It is important that patients wear a surgical bra for several weeks after surgery to minimize swelling and help the tissues heal properly. During one of the postoperative follow-up appointments, Dr. Mussat will tell patients when they can resume their usual activities, including their exercise routine, and when they can stop wearing the surgical bra.
Discover How Breast Lift Can Lift Your Spirits
If you long for the perkier breasts you used to have, consider undergoing breast lift surgery with Dr. Mussat. As a female plastic surgeon, she comprehends your aesthetic desires and can lift your breasts to a higher, aesthetically pleasing position on the chest wall, so you can once again reclaim your youthful look.
To schedule a one-on-one consultation with Dr. Mussat and find out more about how breast lift surgery can lift both your breasts and your spirit, contact her office by calling (312) 751-9000 now.