Breast augmentation involving breast implants is the most popular cosmetic surgery performed on women each year. At the time you decided to have your procedure, you probably didn’t give much thought to the fact that one day, you might need to reverse that decision and have your implants removed. After all, the procedure has a very high satisfaction rate where women say the results met or exceeded their expectations.
However, many women with breast implants may decide later to have them removed. Their reasons for doing so might surprise you.
While most breast implants last approximately 15-20 years before needing to be replaced, there are several reasons women might decide to have their breast implants removed earlier. Here we outline three of the top reasons, all or some of which might apply to you and your situation.
You No Longer Want Breast Implants
While you may simply wish to return to a more natural look, you could also be feeling that your implants are too large and are starting to affect your changing activity levels.
Apart from your busy lifestyle, the discomfort caused by the high-impact activities found in today’s increasingly popular cardio and High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts could be holding you back from reaching your fitness goals.
Of course, you could also simply be wishing to return to a more natural look.
You Want to Keep up With Current Trends
Breast augmentation used to be a popular trend, but the desire for full, curvaceous buttocks is now receiving more attention. Dr. Mussat has seen an increase in the demand for Brazilian Butt Lift surgery and a decreased desire for large breast implants. Some women with large implants are choosing to downsize or have their implants removed altogether.
You are Experiencing Discomfort or Illness
Complications due to breast augmentation are rare. However, there are cases where excessive scar tissue, known as capsular contracture, develops around the implant. When this happens, as it hardens, it can squeeze the implant. The result is a stiffening of the scar tissue resulting in pain, discomfort, swelling, as well as a noticeable distortion of the breast itself.
Some women with breast implants experience a broad range of health issues. Known as breast implant illness, this is where the patient’s immune system has become compromised due to the implant. This immune response can result in generalized inflammation, flu-like symptoms, gastrointestinal distress, cognitive problems, as well as dizziness and even infection. The removal of the implants may be the only way to eliminate this condition.
During breast implant removal surgery, Dr. Mussat will carefully remove the entire implant, including the capsule of scar tissue surrounding it. This cautious approach prevents contaminants from the implant entering the patient’s body during the removal procedure.
Free Professional Consultation
Call our office today at (312) 751-9000 or contact us to schedule a consultation with Dr. Florence Mussat, a board-certified plastic surgeon in downtown Chicago. She will help determine if a breast explant might be right for you.
Review Your Situation
Breast implant removal is a highly individualized surgical procedure. Whether or not you want to remove your implants or simply exchange them, a review of the following typical conditions will help consolidate your decision:
- You are no longer comfortable with the appearance or size of your implants
- You experience discomfort or pain
- Your breasts feel too heavy for your activity levels
- You feel that your breast scar tissue is getting harder or tighter
- Your implants have either started to leak or have ruptured
During your consultation with Dr. Florence Mussat, all of your options will be discussed. She will guide you through your customized treatment plan for the removal of your breast implant, as well as its replacement if desired. To schedule your consultation, please call (312) 751-9000 or contact us online today.
Motherhood is a time for beautiful and life-changing experiences for a woman, but it is also body-altering. As any mom can tell you, the adventure of becoming a mother also has a way of changing the body. Many women find it difficult to regain the figure they had before becoming pregnant. You, too, may be feeling a little disappointed in your post-pregnancy curves.
Add to this the ongoing demands of modern life such as raising children, your career responsibilities, the challenge of domestic duties, and your tendency to put everything and everyone else first, and you’ll find yourself wishing for a practical solution to get back into shape.
Even adopting a healthy lifestyle, like eating a nutritious diet and exercising regularly, won’t always result in weight loss, especially in the areas affected by your pregnancy. There are aspects of your figure you’ll find difficult to change through exercise and diet alone. You would like to reverse the effects of childbirth, along with feelings of frustration about how your body looks and feels.
Pregnancy changes the body, and while you wouldn’t trade your baby for a flat stomach, you do wish you could have that taut tummy back again. Everywhere, mothers are turning to the mommy makeover to help them to regain the bodies they had before motherhood and nursing and to achieve the bodies they desire and deserve.
Who says moms can’t have it all? With our mommy makeover, you can enjoy a body that makes you feel confident and beautiful while also enjoying the many joys of motherhood. Beautiful babies and sexy curves make an enviable combination.
If you’re considering having a mommy makeover, take the next step and learn more by calling us to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. Mussat.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
Having a baby changes the body, often in unexpected ways. Stretch marks, deflated-looking breasts, and a sagging belly are common conditions all moms face. An improved lifestyle isn’t going to restore your post-pregnancy body, but a mommy makeover will. A mommy makeover consists of a set of specifically customized plastic surgery procedures designed to target all your problem areas and, in the process, restore that pre-pregnancy appearance to your body.
- Stretch marks: Many women develop stretch marks during pregnancy, and often these affect the lower abdomen. A tummy tuck removes excess skin, and together with this, also the stretch marks, especially those below the belly button.
- Sagging breasts: A common complaint after pregnancy is breast sagging, which results from hormonal changes, as well as the breast size increase that takes place during pregnancy. A breast lift not only reshapes the breast but also moves its position to a more central location on the chest wall.
- Loss of breast volume – To replace the loss of breast volume, augmentation, combined with a breast lift, could be an excellent procedure to add to your mommy makeover. Dr. Mussat will insert implants into the breasts to increase their size.
- Excess abdominal skin: Rediscover a tight, flat abdomen with a tummy tuck, which removes unwanted skin and fat, thus restoring a tighter, flatter abdomen.
- Abdominal muscle separation: The abdominal muscles can become stretched and separated during pregnancy, resulting in a permanent pooch. A tummy tuck could be all you need to correct this.
- Oversized areolas: Pregnancy for some women results in an increase in areola size as well as location, and Dr. Mussat’s surgery options can adjust this.
Pregnancy may have changed your body, but you can change it back. With a mommy makeover after the birth of your baby, you’re in charge of your appearance.
The Benefits of a Mommy Makeover by Valentine’s Day
Taking care of your mommy makeover by Valentine’s Day gives your body plenty of recovery time before slipping on that new bathing suit and heading for the beach!
Other benefits of your mommy makeover surgery include the following.
- One recovery, lots of benefits: By combining surgeries such a breast lift with a tummy tuck and stretch mark removal, you recover once and enjoy the benefits of multiple treatments.
- Cover up while you heal: The benefit of having a mommy makeover by Valentine’s Day is that heavier, bulkier winter clothes will easily cover up any post-surgery swelling while you recover.
- Ready for a summer reveal: While you’ll get to enjoy the results soon after your mommy makeover, parts of the treatment will require a little more time to heal. For example, after breast augmentation, your implants could take up to three months to soften and settle. The swelling following a tummy tuck could take several months to resolve. When you have some time to heal, you’ll be ready for your sexy summer reveal.
- Time is on your side: As summer approaches, and women race to create their summer bodies, our surgical calendars can quickly fill up. Schedule your appointment now, and you’ve got time for your treatment before the pre-summer rush.
Getting Started With Your Mommy Makeover by Valentine’s Day
As a mom, self-care can often feel like a luxury, but by putting yourself first, you’ll find you have more to give. Embrace the best form of post-pregnancy self-care with a mommy makeover.
Do you have any additional questions and are still keen to find out how Dr. Mussat can help restore your pre-pregnancy body with a mommy makeover? Schedule a private consultation to learn more. Please contact our office by calling (312) 751-9000.