When you peer in the mirror, are you frustrated with your reflection? Do you feel your facial appearance makes you look older than your actual age? If so, consider undergoing cosmetic facelift surgery with Dr. Florence Mussat, a talented facial rejuvenation surgeon in Chicago. With facelift surgery, Dr. Mussat can tighten and lift the soft tissues of the face, for a more youthful, rejuvenated look.
What Facelift Surgery Improves
Dr. Mussat performs facelift surgery to improve the following aesthetic concerns:
- Sagging throughout the middle of the face
- Severe creases beneath the lower eyelids
- Severe creases that extend from the outer edges of the nose to the outer corners of the mouth
- Displaced fat
- Loss of facial volume
- Sagging jowls
- Loose skin and excess fat under the chin and / or neck area
- Other aesthetic concerns pertaining to the neck area
During the patient’s preoperative consultation, Dr. Mussat will review his or her facial anatomy, including skin health, the degree of skin ptosis (sagginess) and how much facial volume has been displaced or lost. Based on this information, she will suggest an appropriate treatment protocol, including one of the following main surgical approaches to facelift:
- SMAS Facelift. This is the traditional facelift approach, which addresses aging throughout the lower face and neck. To perform SMAS, or superficial musculo-aponeurotic system, facelift, Dr. Mussat makes an incision within the hairline, above one ear. The incision continues downward in front of the ear, curving around the bottom edge of the ear and terminating behind it. She then repeats this incision on the other side of the face. With this approach, the Chicago facelift surgeon separates the skin from the underlying fat and musculature. She lifts the muscle layer (SMAS) and repositions it. Dr. Mussat then uses permanent, internal sutures to hold it in place after surgery. The facial rejuvenation surgeon removes any excess skin before pulling the remaining skin taut and closing the incisions with sutures, staples or skin adhesive.
- Deep Plane Facelift. To perform the deep-plane facelift, Dr. Mussat makes incisions similar to the ones described above. She then separates the SMAS from the deeper tissue layer. She lifts and repositions this deep tissue layer, again placing internal stitches to hold it in place after the procedure. Dr. Mussat excises excess skin and re-drapes the remaining skin over the facial contour. Finally, she closes the incisions with staples, sutures or skin adhesive.
More about the Facelift Procedure
Facelift surgery is an outpatient procedure that Dr. Mussat performs in her plastic surgery center with the use of general anesthesia. The entire procedure takes about three to four hours, depending on the extent of the patient’s facial rejuvenation needs and the complexity of the procedure.
Turn Back the Hands of Time
Although no one can completely stop the natural aging process, Dr. Mussat can help “turn back the hands of time” with facelift surgery. To schedule a private consultation with Dr. Mussat and learn more about how facelift surgery can take years off your facial appearance, please contact her office by calling (312) 751-9000.